DL/ID Renewal for Out-of-State

Out-of-State Driver License or ID Card Renewal or Replacement by Mail

If you are currently outside of Oklahoma, you may use the following procedure to renew or replace your license or ID card by mail, if your license or ID card is not expired and provided your driving privilege is in good standing.

You may use this procedure to renew or replace a Class D license or ID Card only. Renewals may be made up to six months early. Replacements can be obtained any time during the fouryear period the license is valid.

Commercial Driver Licenses (Class A, B, or C) cannot be renewed or replaced by mail, as they require an appearance before an Examiner for clearance.

Title 47 Section 6-122 Renewal by Mail

The Department of Public Safety shall develop procedures whereby driver licenses issued under the provisions of Section 6-101 et seq. of this title may be renewed by the applicant by mail except for licenses to be renewed by aliens as prescribed by subsection E of Section 6-115 of this title. Any license issued pursuant to this section shall be valid for a period as prescribed in Section 6-115 of this title. The Department shall not renew a license by mail unless the immediately preceding issuance or renewal was done in person by the applicant.

Please send the following information:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • License Number
  • Oklahoma address
  • Out of state/country address (where the license is to be mailed)
  • A copy of two forms of identification [see Primary and Secondary Proofs of Identity]
  • Required fee, payable to the "Department of Public Safety":
  • $33.50 for a renewal
  • $20.00 for a replacement

By mail to:

Department of Public Safety
Driver License Examining, Renewal By Mail
PO Box 11415
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73136

We cannot renew by email or telephone request.

License/ID With No Photo - Beginning November 1, 2007, only one (1) license/ ID can be issued with "Valid Without Photo" on it. You will be required to return to Oklahoma and have a license or ID card made with a photo before any further replacements or renewals are issued.

Extension of Driver License for Certain Armed Forces Duties

Any person or spouse of a person on active duty with the Armed Forces of the United States living outside of Oklahoma having a valid driver license issued by the State of Oklahoma for the operation of motor vehicles upon the highways of the state shall have without additional charge, a valid license for the duration of such service and for a period of sixty (60) days from and after the return of the person or spouse of the person to the continental limits of the United Sates from such service. Please see renewal/replacement options for military personnel and their spouses and dependents.