Transfer a Provisonal or Graduated License from Another State (Over the Age of 16)
A person over the age of 16 who, at the time of application, is licensed by one of the (50) states, District of Columbia or Canadian province and is operating under a valid intermediate license, or equivalent, can apply to transfer the intermediate license to Oklahoma. The intermediate license in Oklahoma must be held for a minimum of 12 months. The applicant can receive credit for the time they have held the out-of-state license.
If the applicant is over the age of 16 1/2 and has held the out-of-state intermediate license for over 12 months or if they have turned 18, they will be issued a full unrestricted license.
The applicant must bring in the following:
- Applicant must bring Primary ID. (Usually a State Certified Birth Certificate)
- Applicant must bring Secondary ID. (Usually a Social Security Card)
- Applicant must provide Social Security Number.
- You must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma School, click here for a list of alternate documents.
- You must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.
- Present the Out-of-State Intermediate License.
- Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc:
These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »
Once the Examiner has accepted the documents and processed the applicant a Vision test will be given. If you pass the vision test a form will be issued to the applicant. The applicant will take this form along with their identification documents and out-of-state license to a tag agency. There they will pay the fee and the license will be printed.