Transferring a Driver License from a US Territory

A Driver License from a United States Territory, that is not expired, can be transferred to Oklahoma without having to take a written or drive test.

If the license has expired the applicant will have to take a written and drive test.

Applicant must appear before a Driver License Examiner and furnish both primary and secondary documentary proofs of identity, proof of full legal name and birth date, and proof of legal presence in the United States.

The applicant must bring in the following:
  1. Applicant must bring Primary ID. (Usually a Passport)

  2. Applicant must bring Secondary ID. (Usually a Social Security Card)

  3. Applicant will bring the Territory License.

  4. Applicants who possess a valid license issued by any United States possession or territory (American Samoa, Guam, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the U. S. Virgin Islands) must present an English translation of their traffic record dated within 60 days to the Examiner for their tests to be waived.

  5. Applicant must provide Social Security Number.

  6. If the last name to be entered on the Oklahoma License is different from the name on the Out of State license, the applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc:
    These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »

Once the Examiner has accepted the documents and processed the applicant a Vision test will be given. If you pass the vision test, a form will be issued to the applicant. The applicant will take this form along with their identification documents and Out of State license to a tag agency. There they will pay the fee and the license will be printed.