Transfer an Out-of-State Learner Permit with the Parent-Taught Affidavit

Between the Age of 15 1/2 and 16, an applicant with a valid out-of-state learner permit can transfer the permit to Oklahoma if they meet all other requirements. Applicant must appear before a Driver License Examiner. The examiner will process them and arrange to have an approved amount of time credited towards the 6 month learner permit requirement. If the out-of-state permit was issued before the applicant is 15 1/2, they will get credit from the date they turned 15 1/2. If the permit was issued after they turned 15 1/2, they will be given credit from the issue date of their out-of-state permit. The Examiner will issue a form that is taken to a tag agency where they will pay the fee and get the permit printed.

The applicant must bring in the following:
  1. Applicant must bring Primary ID. (Usually a State Certified Birth Certificate)

  2. Applicant must bring Secondary ID. (Usually a Social Security Card)

  3. Applicant must provide Social Security Number.

  4. You must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma School, click here for a list of alternate documents.

  5. You must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.

  6. You must present the Approved Parent Taught Drivers Education Affidavit.

  7. You must present the Out-of-State Learner Permit.

  8. Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc:
    These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »