Name Changes

If your current name is different from your identification documents you must show how the name was changed or is going to be changed.

Name change documents shall include:
  • Primary ID (Usually a State Certified Birth Certificate)
  • Secondary ID (Usually a Social Security Card)
  • Divorce Decree
  • Adoption Decree
  • Name Change Decree, or
  • Establishment of Record of Birth, Pursuant to 63 OS., 1-315
  • Marriage License
  • For a common law marriage, "Affidavit of Common Law Marriage" containing the notarized signatures of the husband and wife. Both primary and secondary forms of identification must be submitted in addition to this affidavit.

Form of new name: A name change resulting from marriage must appear on the driver license or identification card in one of the following forms:

  • (First Name) (Middle Name or Initial) (Surname of Spouse)
  • (First Name) (Former Surname or Initial) (Surname of Spouse)
  • (First Name) (Middle Name or Initial) (Surname-Surname of Spouse)