Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement

In Oklahoma to be licensed to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, you have to have an "M" endorsement on your Oklahoma Driver License. To have the endorsement added you must appear before a Driver License Examiner, present the required documentation and take a vision, written and drive test exam. If you have completed a "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" course the drive test will be waived.

After passing the written exam, the applicant can request a Motorcyle Learner Permit. If you get the permit, you must hold it for a minimum of 30 days. During this time you may operate a motorcyle or motor-driven cycle while accompanied by and receiving instruction from any person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and who is properly licensed pursuant to the laws of this state to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, and who has visual contact with the restricted licensee.

The applicant must bring in the following:
  1. Applicant must bring Primary ID. (Usually a State Certified Birth Certificate)

  2. Applicant must bring Secondary ID. (Usually a Social Security Card)

  3. Applicant must provide Social Security Number.

  4. Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc:
    These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »

  5. If you have completed a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, bring in the completion card in order to have the skills (drive) test waived.

  6. Bring valid proof of motorcycle liability insurance if you are taking the driving test. (Security Verification Form)

  7. If your motorcycle does not have a sufficient windshield, you will have to wear goggles that meet ANSI Z87.1 standards or have a face shield. Click here to see requirements.