DPS Communications Division
Communication services for the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety began in 1939 with the first experimental one-way transmitter near Stillwater, Oklahoma.
In 1940, a vast improvement was made when two-way transmitters were installed utilizing AM radio bands. Following World War II, the department moved into the FM realm and began putting this "modern" equipment in its patrol units and stations across the state.
During this conversion the department created a Communications Division and staffed it with civilian employees. In 1954, those employees became uniformed members of the department and were placed under the direct control of the chief of the patrol and local district commanders.
In order to keep pace with changing technologies, rules and regulations, and laws governing today′s law enforcement communications, the division created internal leadership in 1975 with a director′s position to assume authority over its members.
Today′s Communications Division consists of approximately 100 uniformed members assigned among each of the 13 Communications Centers located in highway patrol headquarters across the state of Oklahoma. Each headquarters has its own supervisors to oversee communication officers working with the state troopers to create a safe and secure environment for the citizens of Oklahoma.
DPS Communications Officers are professionals dedicated to assisting citizens and law enforcement officers. Communications Officers' Duties Include:
- Providing driver license information, vehicle information, investigative and other law enforcement-related information to law enforcement personnel
- Routing emergency equipment and personnel to traffic collisions and disasters
- Providing assistance to citizens traveling throughout the state
- Maintaining information about current road conditions and weather conditions
- Handling *55 emergency assistance calls
There are 13 DPS Communication Centers, located throughout the state in Oklahoma Highway Patrol headquarters.
|Oklahoma City||(405) 425-2043|